Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pearls and Swine

Matthew 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.”

A quick reading of this verse does not reveal the depth of its meaning. A study of the “Sermon on the Mount” can reveal a Jesus who is often surprising and dare I say it but a bit confusing. The same man who is so often quoted as saying “Do not judge,” “Pray for your enemies,” and “deny yourself” is found here telling us that some people are dogs or swine, that some efforts will eventually destroy what we hope to accomplish.

The swine or pig is an unclean animal in all aspects of the Jewish culture. They were not allowed to eat such a filthy animal. Is Jesus comparing some people or pursuits to swine?

I believe there are several aspects to this verse. The first thing is what is our “pearls.” I think it would have to be the very best we have. This could mean our time, our energy, our love, our attention. Whatever our pearl is it is surely precious to us. I believe Jesus is commanding us to be a good steward of this treasure.

I believe this verse is also showing us that some things are not worth the effort we give them. We are throwing our pearls into something, be that a person, a hobby, a lifestyle, a way of thinking, which is only going to turn and trample us. This trampling will undoubtedly leave us dejected and depressed.

How does this verse become incorporated into our lives? First I believe we need to know what our pearl is. We must take an accounting of our lives and determine what God has gifted us with. What do we owe our fellow humans and the kingdom, (I say this because in all reality we can not give God anything He does not already have.) Secondly we must determine if we are giving these “pearls” to worthy causes. Are the causes going to turn on us and trample all we have done and put effort into. I know this goes against some of the well ingrained practices but we may need to judge some of the people we interact with. Are they going to use the efforts you are putting into them for growth? Are your daily actives building up your life and relationships or are we pouring our efforts and pearls into meaningless pursuits?

I have not always been good at this. I confess I have “thrown my pearls” before some swine. And the words of Jesus have always rang true, they do turn and trample you.

It would not be in the spirit of the “Sermon on the Mount” if we did not turn this verse around on ourselves. By this I mean, are we being swine to someone else? Is someone throwing their pearls before us, only to watch them get trampled and abused. I know there have been a great number of people who have given me their best and I need to make sure I am not trampling their efforts. I need to be attentive enough to know when someone is throwing their “pearls” before me and what am I doing with them.

No comments: